To achieve the shore based portion of ISPA Certificate of Competency
Completion of either:
- ISPA home study correspondence,
- Classroom or
- On the water course.
The "Ashore Based Certificate" exams for either Sail, or Power may only be taken in the following sequence:
- Competent Crew (Basic).
- Day Skipper (Intermediate).
- Coastal Navigation.
- Coastal Skipper (Advanced).
- Yachtmaster Offshore.
Prior to taking the exam:
- You will be in possession of your own individual course book for the exam being taken e.g. Competent Crew Sail for the Competent Crew Sail exam.
- You have completed the book and answered all of the module questions.
- Please print and read Procedure for taking ISPA online exams
- When you are ready to take the exam please go to the Online Store and purchase the appropriate exam.
- Once you have paid for the exam, you will receive your ORDER NUMBER,
- Return to this page and using this link, and your order number, register for the exam. Allow 24 hours for processing by ISPA staff.
- On successful completion of your exam, you can register your ashore based certification.
All exams require a proctor
Responsibilities of a Proctor
- Must be present at all times during the exam.
- Cannot be related to the person taking the exam.
- Must be of the age of majority in the province or territory or state.
- Must ensure that the person taking the exam has no access to any material.
- Must ensure that the person taking the exam is identified correctly.
- Ensures that if more than one person is taking the exam, they do not share information.
- Ensures that the person taking the exam does not attempt to use the back button reproduce, print, save or copy the exam or its components.
- Understands that the exam will automatically provide a ZERO score if any condition in item 7 is attempted.