Who requires a PCOC? PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kelly Moloney   
Wednesday, 15 April 2009 16:30

Who Requires an Operators Card, and When?




The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times. These requirements have been phased in over ten years.  As of September 15, 2009, ALL operators of motorized vessels must be in possession of a valid PCOC.

The Pleasure Craft Operators Card is not for use on commercial vessels or paying passenger vessels.

TIP: Certificates for boating safety courses completed before April 1, 1999 will be recognized. If you've already taken an ISPA course prior to these regulations - and have proof - then that course certificate or card will be accepted as proof of competency. Send us a copy of your certificates to see if they qualify.

Marine Certificates of Competency, Training Certificates and other Equivalencies as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft are valid for issue of a PCOC.  Those certificates can be viewed at the Transport Canada Website  and can be ordered through Transport Canada ONLY. 

The operator card is good-for-life. Boaters can obtain their card after receiving a mark of at least 75% on a Transport Canada accredited test or a test approved in their boating region.
Boaters have the option of taking this test without first completing a course.  
Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 20:14